Baked Beans Meatloaf

I cleaned all morning and then went to the grocery store so I had a late lunch. I bought six cans of baked beans from Iceland. Then, I realized I still didn't have a can opener! But lucky me, there was a self-open tab on the cans. Cheese, beans and spinach on my last tortilla with carrots and hummus.


 I bought some minced beef and decided I will make meatloaf and shepherds pie. I looked up a few meat load recipes online after I came home from shopping. I didn't have all the ingredients for any of the recipes so I put a few together and mixed and matched!


I used mozzarella cheese, minced beef, pork sausages (defrosted easily in a bowl of hot water), fresh parsley (I bought a parsley plant and a coriander plant to add to my herb garden collection), dried oregano, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs/some of an old baguette AND the secret ingredient will be baked beans! I had a can open from lunch and I thought it might work in my meatloaf. I googled it and it's an actual recipe!


I roasted my vegetables again. The last batch tied me over for three meals! It's such a great way to use up leftover veggies quick. I used all the same vegetables as last time. I didn't use lemon juice and I put in a whole bunch of mixed dried herbs from a bottle. I roasted them on a lower heat to match the meatloaf but they turned out just the same with a longer cooking time.


The meat loaf took forever in the oven. A little bit of that was probably because I kept taking it out and checking it. .. but that was because when I took the vegetables out to mix, I found out my oven was on a slant (Thank you City Technical..) and the pans were in the far corner. So, I spent a good 5-10 minutes trying to readjust the oven so it was standing up right and then readjusting the rack so it was as level as possible. In that time, I'm sure all the heat escaped and that's why my meat loaf took longer.


Leftovers! The ketchup glaze got a little too crispy because of the extended time in the oven.

0 comments: